Warning: While these pages do not contain any explicit material, I do at times link to places to buy material suitable only for an 18+ audience, my own stories included (content warnings are attached to each of these links).

If you're looking for information ONLY on my young adult stories, click here.

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Bring on the Punk! - Teslapunk

Teslapunk. I'll have to admit, this one was a surprise to me, and I've found very little on it. The wikipedia definition is as follows:

This narrative or style commonly imagines an alternate history where widely available cheap (or free), clean, and often highly portable electrical energy replaces all previous energy sources (such as wood, coal and oil, and the steam engines that were fueled by them), but has yet to be replaced (or is never replaced) by other energy sources itself (such as diesel or atomic power).

Seems fairly straightforward. Clean energy sources. But how many can you name? Clean-energy-ideas.com lists the merits of clean energy such as: solar power, wind, hydro, and geothermal energy. Creating a world relying on these instead of gasoline doesn't seem so far-fetched. In fact, it seems practically utopian.

Teslapunk was named after scientist and inventor Nikola Tesla. Who was he? Tesla was, unsurprisingly, a pioneer in developing electricity. He also dreamed of creating an airplane without propellers or engines, working by a series of electromechanical ground stations or an on-board energy source. Have you heard of Tesla's "peace ray"? Back in the early 1900s, Tesla created an electrical weapon which was dubbed a "peace ray" or death ray by the media.

If you want to learn more about Tesla and his radical ideas, try the Wikipedia page.

5 comments:

  1. I've been enjoying your punk series. I've had a yen to write a punk, but I've got a lot of historical research before I can even formulate a plot. Or maybe it's the other way round.

    I had to comment on Teslapunk because the SyFy channel series, Sanctuary, provides a great deal of punkishness, including Nicola Tesla as a vampire. Who wouldn't like that?

    If you haven't caught the series, just keep an eye out. It's a lot of un.

    Of course, Warehouse 13 also ranges into the punkishness of all historical ages. Those artifacts definitely have a lot more going than their origin allows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sanctuary happens to be one of my favorite shows. I love it. Warehouse 13 is a good one too. I love to see the old artefacts.

    I'm glad you've been enjoying the series so far, Marva. Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you give some examples of books, movies, or shows that have Teslapunk?
    I don't watch Sanctuary or Warehouse 13 (though I know lots of people who like them) so maybe I should check those out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been a fan of Sanctuary for a while and I had no idea this exists, but gosh. Can I love you forever for doing this series?

    I guess you could say that Sorcerer's Apprentice has this too, to some extent, but Sanctuary is clearly the best example of this (even if their Nikola isn't a main character, sadly, the episodes with him are the best and well. Two words. Jonathon Young. If you don't know who he is you have to check him out, but it will ruin your life. In the best way possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Without giving things away you might want to read the Leviathan series of books. The author makes use of at least one of Tesla's inventions.

    ReplyDelete